Malkioni Saints and Boddhisatvas

From: George W. Harris <gharris_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 18:32:25 -0400 (EDT)

Nick Brooke:

>Nils and Simon raise the Buddhist parallel (seeing Malkioni Saints as
>Bodhisattvas reaching back from Solace to help poor old us). This is very
>apposite, and I am delighted to embrace it.
>
>(I note from the most recent Digest that Peter is grumbling about this
>self-same notion. I am unsure whether this is an additional recommendation
>for it :-)

        Well, in the Lore Auction at GCII, I posed to Greg the question if the achievement of Solace for Malkioni was in anyway similar to the achievement of nirvana for buddhists, and he rather vehemently denied the suggestion. Still, the idea of some heresy believing that Solace is a state achieved rather than a reward granted, that the caste into which one is reborn is determined by the appropriateness of ones behavior in the previous life, and perhaps that the only caste from which one can reach solace is the Farmer caste, to be too attractive to deny merely on Greg's say-so...

        [Proposal for term for inhabitants of god forgot: the god forgotten.] - --
Doesn't the fact that there are *exactly* 50 states seem a little suspicious?

George W. Harris                        gharris_at_dur.mindspring.com