Myths and History

From: richard <richard.develyn_at_nwpeople.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 09:47:00 +0100

Examining what we _really_ know about the past...

David Dunham wrote:

First of all to qualify the accuracy of writings, and the accuracy of Orlanthi myths.

Then:

Simon Phipp also wrote:

> Myths in Glorantha represent events in the past. However, they also
> reflect the needs of the community. When a need of the community is
> not reflected in the mythology, Heroes will HeroQuest and create the
> myths which are needed.

Can I just pin this bit down: Do you agree that you can HeroQuest to _change_ a myth (which then tends to retain its new form), as opposed to just create new ones?

If so, isn't it the case that your HeroQuest time-travel is not accurate? Or rather, that what you experience when HQing is more a reflection of current beliefs than historical events?

Let me try an example, although I haven't got all my Gloranthan literature here ('cos I'm at work) so I might get some of my facts a bit wrong:

I believe that in Nomad Gods, "myth" says: Tada kills Basmol. In later publications it's Waha. Do we really know what happened to Basmol? If you were able to really time travel, wouldn't you find that 1000 years ago, "myth" would then have said it was someone totally different who killed Basmol, and maybe 1000 years before that he wasn't killed at all, but for some other reason went to the underworld?

Cheers

Richard
- --

Richard Develyn                                 Tel: (UK)-1732-743591
Principal Architect / Development Manager       Fax: (UK)-1732-743597
Network People International                    http://www.nwpeople.com