The Meaning of Orthodoxy

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 23:54:30 +1200 (NZST)

Julian Lord:

>>Since the definition of being orthodox is adhering to accepted
>>conventional views _and_ that there are far more Malkioni than
>>there are Brithini (even if the People of Old Brithos suddenly
>>showed up), I see no problem in calling the mainstream Malkioni
>>churches orthodox.

>Don't you think that would depend on the subject matter?

Like what?

>I'm quite willing to accept "orthodox westerners" as
>meaning certain Malkioni and not other westerners,
>except when what is being discussed is religion itself,
>or some other very basic transcultural subject.

>The phrase "orthodox westerners" in such a context, IMHO,
>becomes meaningless, although we may still be able to mention
>orthodox Rokari, Hrestolists, Sedalpists, or Brithini,
>or even orthodox Orlanthi, dwarfs, Hsunchen and trolls,
>if such were to the point.

So if I say that 'Orthodox Malkioni (or westerners) worship only the Invisible God', I am uttering gobbledegook in your humble opinion because I am discussing religion?

Your move.

>Also, you *were* implying that orthodox malkioni were
>"righter" than other westerners, for obscure etymological
>reasons.

Despite an explicit denial that I have called the orthodox malkioni 'righter' than anybody else, Julian thinks I am doing so for 'obscure etymological reasons'. Where do I collect my card and secret decoder ring in the International Etymological Conspiracy (Secret Agenda: To describe Glorantha using Plain English [or German, French etc])?

>Words sometimes just do things we don't want them to.

And some people it seems have more trouble with words than others.