Saints, Arroin

From: Nikk Effingham <eng7nje_at_arts-01.novell.leeds.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 12:43:14 GMT

SAINTS
>Anyone know anything about canonisation in
>Malkioni Churches BTW? How does it work?
>Could a dead Wizard be elevated to the
>Sainthood, for instance, by his old buddies,
>in exchange for future miracles in their favour?
>What magical (Blasphemy! Um; I meant Miraculous)
>processes are involved?=

No, I don't think that a few people can just "decide" that their friend is a Saint, even if they were the greatest HeroQuesters around. They could, of course, make a Hero Cult out of it, but that is an evil, pagan thing that most Malkioni would not have a part of.

To Canonise someone, I believe you need the spiritual backing of the entire Church. The Church pass the ancient rites, speak prayers to the Creator and the Saintly Blessings are made. So the problem is less of HQing and Magically interferring on the HeroPlane than convincing an entire Church to canonise a worthy candidate.

Of course, once the Saint has been "created" (bad choice of words, but still...) whether this is actually your dead buddy or just a conglomerate entity formed by the spiritual powers of the Church is another story.

I don't think that many Saints are "made" nowdays, except for the canonisation of existing gods in Stygian and Aeolian Churches.

ARROIN Dave pointed out that it might be artifical for Arroin to exist as a sub-cult of Humakt just because Humakti wanted combat medics. I think this is exactly the point. After all, they gain no magical, mystical, divine or spiritual powers from him, just First Aid. The Humakti probably just decided that Combat Medics were a good idea, thought Arroin was a good example of what a combat medic should be (he does appear in their myths after all) and so put a small statue of him in the corner and some guy, the one with the best first aid, became head of the "sub cult" and started teaching first aid.

Perhaps sub cult is the wrong word.

Nikk E.

Nikk Effingham
eng7nje_at_leeds.ac.uk