Basmol

From: JeffJErwin <JeffJErwin_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 18:19:26 EDT

Dave Dunham wrote in reply to Robert MacArthur

(This would definitely be a difficult quest, since the mythic odds are stacked mightily against the quester. In my Ralios game, the Basmoli hero wasn't stupid enough to try it; he was using a Basmol the King myth.)

I've been experimenting with a Tiger cult myth for an example of a living male Great Cat god... and I think if we use the behavior of the actual cats for guidance, Basmol may not be -actually- very helpful to the modern Hsunchen of Time.
Here's my reasoning:
1. Male cats are territorial and can be vicious even to kin, if it assures biological success...
2. Male cats are often therefore dangerous to children (kittens) and to non- dominant males.
This being the case, the female Basmola cult, as the remnant, would emphasise female behavior in the pride, a factor which would help to preserve the twolegged  Hsunchen as a cooperative and successful band. Thus the Basmoli might be construed as having less dangerous hangups than the Tiger people, who are stubbornly territorial and noncooperative except within those areas sanctified by the expression of female territory. (At least in my campaign).
The most extreme example of the 'dangerous male' would be my version of Sakkar, who ate his human children.
In other words, even if the (male) Basmoli chooses to try to resurrect his god his female relatives might sabotage his efforts (subtly). For a sort of RW resonance the Saturn and Titanides myth might be a vague parallel.
In one version, Basmol might have been killed by his own son! This doesn't apply IMO to most Gloranthan cultures (I having some difficulties with Freudian analysis), but it reflects the problems of a predator-god interestingly.

Jeff Erwin