Saints and Sainthood

From: Nikk Effingham <eng7nje_at_arts-01.novell.leeds.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 12:12:58 GMT

While I'd *hate* to get in the way of the "debate" between Pete and Nils, my own two pence is this.

I believe that Saints also do not reside in Solace for the reason that I believe Solace to be the unreachable and unprovable. Unlike most other Gloranthan afterlives, Solace cannot be found anywhere on the Spirit Plane or Hero Plane, and never should IMHO. No HeroQuests to Solace, no Divine Interventions from the Invisible God (or, at least, none that a sceptic could not attribute to pure luck). In effect, IMG I never want it to be proven that Solace exists, because I feel that Malkioni are the only religion with true "faith". All other Gloranthan religions "know" that their path is the true and correct one, how can you deny it when you talk to the Gods every other week?

If Saints remain "elsewhere" other than Solace, then Invoking their powers, meeting them in dreams and in miracle appearances, means that there is less evidence for the existence of the Invisible God and the Creator. After all, an Orlanthi Shaman might just point out how alike Hero Cults and Saints are to each other.

All IMVHO,

Nikk E.

Nikk Effingham
eng7nje_at_leeds.ac.uk