Basmol, Lions and Kingship

From: Ian Welsh <judit.hellebrandt_at_utoronto.ca>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 14:58:53 -0400

David Dunham says:

"Basmol may not be -actually- very helpful to the modern Hsunchen of Time.
Here's my reasoning:
1. Male cats are territorial and can be vicious even to kin, if it assures
biological success...
2. Male cats are often therefore dangerous to children (kittens) and to non-
dominant males."

A very nice analysis. However I do wonder if Gloranthan mythology gives lions the kingship/leadership qualities the RW myth does. If so, that would nicely balance the worst predator problems. Given that the Basmoli did rule a huge empire in GodTime it does not seem unreasonable, either.

On another subject I really don't see what the problem with ressurecting him is from a mechanical point of view. It doesn't matter how strong the myth of Basmol being killed is... as long as you are trying to bring him back rather than alter the myth, no problem (not to say that quest wouldn't be really, really hard... but such things have been done.)

Ian

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #618