RFC: Character Concept

From: Hibbs, Philip <philip.hibbs_at_tnt.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 19:01:57 +0100

This is both RQ and Gloranthan, so I'm posting it to both lists.

I am interested in opinions/suggestions for a character concept. His name is Max. All his characteristics are human maximum (18), but his skills are forever frozen at base chance. Effectively, his ability to learn skills stopped either with puberty or cult initiation. He may have been a magical experiment (Kingdom of War?), a side-effect of a heroquest, or just a magical accident.

Maybe his mother was posessed at the time of conception by a Mastery spirit, and his father by a Stasis spirit.

Another quirk is that if his stats ever deviate from their normal level, then his chance of fumbling any roll is doubled, and any rolls based purely on that stat (eg. balance rolls for DEX) are considered to be one level of success lower than the roll indicates.

Perhaps he can use a skill if he attempts to learn it in the normal way (50 hours, gain d6) and then uses the skill straight away - but loses the skill almost immediately.

Maybe there are spells out there that are not in common usage, because they are of minimal use to normal people. Max is not normal, so maybe he would benefit from an enchantment spell, for example, which adds 5% to a given skill, which would not be worthwhile for the majority.

Any ideas? I am most intrigued by this idea, and any suggestions/comments as to origins or development would be appreciated.

http://members.tripod.com/~PhilHibbs/
You never know what is enough
unless you know what is more than enough.