Re: Red Moon Rising

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 09:10:45 +0100

There's times when a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do...
  1. Why the moon is red and black.

In the purity of Godtime, the planet Verithurusa was purest white. When Umatam violated and destroyed the celestial harmony of her being, she was stained with blood, and became red. When her orbit was cast beneath the horizon of the world, she was the first to view the dark Underworld and then return to the world above.

The cycles of Time have turned, returning almost to their source, and Rufelza now appears as a red body in the sky, whose phases move across her face as proofs of the death and rebirth she offers her followers. And now we stand prepared for the transformation that will occur when Umatam's cursed brood are harnessed to the Cosmic Wheel, and white Verithurusa shall shine once more, unblemished, over a deathless world of perfection.

2) Why it spins.

The moon does not spin, O most ignorant one. The black face of the moon is but a transient shadow; she herself is more constant than the Pole Star. Thus we see that death is a flitting nothingness, and life endures.

[[Read: that bastard Stafford gave the Moon a fixed position and moving shadow in his article in Tales #16. Prior to that -- cf. "Moonbroth" in Tales #15 -- I was delighted to speculate about what lurks on the Dark Side of the Moon. But I guess the last words of the album are more appropriate this way.]]

3) Why it doesn't reflect the light of Yelm (at least, the black side).

All light reflects the light of Yelm. All darkness absorbs the light of Yelm. The Destinex Shadow appears as a dark patch in the sky, even in the brightest daylight. How else should it seem? (Or would mighty Yelm himself wish to occlude Rufelza's message of death and rebirth, which she herself taught to him in Hell?)

3a) Will the White Moon be white 'cos it reflects the light of Yelm, and is it more Yelm friendly as a consequence.

O folly! When She Who Comes is manifest, all the heavens and earths, waters and darknesses will return to the state of primordial celestial order. Naturally, this state will be presided over by Yelm, Emperor of the Universe. But what could be more (ahem) "Yelm friendly" than the arduous struggle to re-create this state?

4) Why moon is associated with madness.

The full beauty of the Lunar revelation transcends consciousness, cosmos and conscience. Such powerful insights are not for everyone. Through education, proclamation, reclamation, we strive to prepare the general public for That Which Comes. In the Jakaleeli Asylums, we listen to the wisdom that dribbles from the lips of those blessed -- all unknowing -- with fragments of divine Wisdom. And through direct personal experience of the Lunar Truths, we unhinge and disarrange the minds of the recalcitrant, ignorant and foolish, confronting their puny intellects with the aweful immensity of the Lunar Way.

[It may not do them much good, but it's fun to watch!]

Nick
:::: web: <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Nick_Brooke>

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #624