Third Eye Blue and Sorcerers

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 14:18:48 +1200 (NZST)

Simon Phipp:

Me>> I'm not so sure that the Third Eye Blue are sorcerers. Apple
>> Lane does not treat them as such and They are recorded as being
>> enemies of sorcerers in the Elmexdros Roll text (FS p89).

>I was under the impression that the Third Eye Blue people were
>sorcerers who migrated from West of Carmania. I can't remember the
>refernces off-hand. That would mean that they were of Western
>extraction originally. I have always thought of them as being
>possibly Stygian in nature, worshipping possibly their ancestors as
>well as the occasional Smith Deity.

Your impressions are correct to some extent. The Lunar Wane Chronicle does record them as being imported by the Carmanians into Peloria, the Dwarf special of Different Worlds mentions that they claim to have had a Kingdom in Fronela which was cast down by the Mostali, and the Genertela Book has them originating from the highlands of Tastolar.

However more recent Greg musings have the Third Eye Blue being related to the Blue People of the Sweet Sea. Therefore it seems that the Carmanian exportation actually means that the Carmanians actively exported the cult from Pelanda (or Carmania) into the rest of Peloria.

Regardless of their origin, the mere fact that they come from the West is not evidence of their sorcerous usage. The Tawari Bull People of eastern peloria had prehistoric origins in the province of Tavars in modern Loskalm yet they are by no means sorcerors.

>> Sorcerers of Orathorn in Pent are the only published non-westerners
>> who are described as sorcerers.

>Don't Kralori peasants use sorcery? I thought the mystics used Dragon
>magic and Godyuna magic, the Exarchs just willed things into effect
>and the peasants used a form of sorcery. Maybe this is a remnant of
>the False Dragon Ring.

The old rules claim the Kralori use Sorcery. Modern thinking has they use mysticism (which IMO the Kralori view as being the same as Dragon and Godunya magic). There are remants of FDR sorcery in Kralorela but these are most likely to be found in the old FDR cults, such as the Path of Immanent Mastery. In any case, I was responding to a request for an independant sorcery tradition.