Boddhisattvas

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_hol.fr>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 00:41:53 +0200

Um, I think I've come across a reason why Saints are not like Boddhisattvas (sp?) ...

The Malkioni believe that there is only one God, and He is the Invisible God, etc...

Now, this belief is exclusivist in nature, meaning that they believe that anyone who denies this doctrine is Wrong, and also that any Malkioni who denies one particular version of dogma (whichever it may be) is a heretic (and should be burned).

A Saint, from this POV, would be seen as incarnating some aspect of this exclusive doctrine, and as being in a Solace as unchangeable (supposedly) as faith itself.

Boddhisattvas, OTOH, allow a transcendant and living link to Divinity which is independant of doctrine. The Buddhist model allows for a potentially infinite number of aspects for worship, and adapts itself to local conditions, allowing variation. This mutability of boddhisattva-hood is very basically antithetical to the idea of Malkioni Saint-hood.

The dogmatic nature of Malkionism implies aloof Saints in an eternal and inviolate Solace unreachable by all but the most godly of men, ie the most orthodox. (whichever dogma they adhere to)

The God-Learners may, though, have had a boddhisattva-like model, as proposed, being able then to transcend ordinary malkioni dogmatics and perceive Divinity through the Saints and even through the pagan gods, etc.., as opposed to its being present *only* in the Invisible God. Various 17th century (heretical?) sects may or may not have some godlearnerish features, though, so we might keep the boddhisattva image in our minds as a basis for some interesting heresies. It may be useful for Stygian Malkionism, for instance.

A living Saint might transcend dogma, though, by the grace of the Invisible God. From the Saint's POV, that is. Ordinary Malkioni would understand him as shedding light upon some misunderstanding of the eternal truth, or, alternatively, as being inspired by the Devil. Malkioni theologians would have great difficulty in accepting the Saint, of course !! They would be forced either to reject this creative heroquester outright, or admit that previously cherished views were false.

All consuls are men. Incitatus is a consul. ...