Tolat

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 19:47:45 +1200 (NZST)

Xavier Llobet:

>But the problem came when I noticed that I knew NOTHING about
>the God of these women, TOLAT.

>PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! CAN ANYBODY TELL ME ANYTHING ABOUT HIS CULT !!
>I'D BE VERY PLEASED WITH ANYBODY WHO CAN GIVE A DESCRIPTION OF THIS
>CULT, spells, holy days, runeladies, skills... WHATEVER!!!!!!

It's a combination of Humakt and Uleria according to Player's Book: Genertela. Which probably means although it gets Humakt's weapon magic (but without the phallic attachment to swords), I don't think it has geases, truth spells or even anti-undead spells. The worship spell is probably a form of Erotocosmatose Lucidity and the requirements for a Rune Lady require an APPx1 roll instead of the POWx3 roll that is normal for the test of holiness (but this last bit seems a bit trite).

There _is_ a cult of Shargash written in Enclosure #1 and that is the same god. But his magics arise from a wholely seperate culture and thus I don't like to borrow from that anymore than I would give the Elmali spells from the Yelm Cult.

I prefer to make the Amazons a wee bit more savage and fearsome. IMO they have a variation of Orlanth's Bless Woad spell in which a prepared pot of male blood is transformed into blood-red Gore that is worn in the Orlanthi manner. They disdain metal weapons, prefering to work with male bones specially treated by their cult magics. Male skin is similarly preferred for their armor. This ensures that they have to raid the men of the surrounding lands.

Rather than simply casting Worship Tolat, the Amazons (based on an idea of MOB's) need a specially prepared male for the task. After he has successfully incarnated Tolat and done his duty, the Amazons have a special feast off the remains. A few are visited by the real Tolat and are blessed with special progeny.

An important matter for your character: What is her reason for leaving home? Most Amazons sleep with Tolat who is better than anybody else so far. That is why the Amazons have never migrated elsewhere. Is she perhaps a heretical Tribade seeking her lost lover?