Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #635

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 14:33:03 EDT

TOLAT:
I think Tolat is the same deity as Shargash, known to the Praxians as Bronze Treasure. The Genertela Book says he is a god of Love and War, and also a deity of the Heavens whose cult somewhat resembles a combination of Humakt and Uleria. The annual High Holy day is the City of Uxoral Ecstasy sounds like a MegaFertility rite, where all the women get pregnant, with Tolat as the father. (just wait till the Child Support Agency catches him). These primitive hunters use rapiers and main gauche as cultural weapons and crossbows. Perhaps they are not so primitive.

Tolat is a blood red planet which spends two weeks in the underworld, then two weeks in the heavens travelling the Southpath.

Shargash enjoys human sacrifice so I presume that as Tolat he would also enjoy them.

I would say that Berserk, Truesword, and Sever Spirit would be the primary RuneMagic with some sort of combination Erotocomatose- /Reproduce/Community ritual at the High Holy Day. This would recreate the Dawn when Tolat "strode forth upon the Heavens... ,and all of life followed him." (from Myth of the Month: Shargash)

Other holy days could be :when Shargash was released at Yelm's murder, when Shargash met Death, when Shargash fought Dromakus.