Re: Prophecy.

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 14:19:29 +0100

Steve Rennell asks, not unreasonably :

>What is the status of Prophecy? and as a related question, how widely
is the
>doctrine that Gods can't know the future spread?

I don't think there is an official direct answer to this.

There is a level of magical mystical experience that transcends the nuts and bolts of game mechanics as presented in the rules. Divination is approaching that, the rules can only give a rough guideline of how to run either Divinations or Divine Interventions. Illumination is even more esoteric a subject and rules such as 'Illuminates cannot be detected by Storm Bull's sense chaos ability' and 'Illuminates are immune to cult spirits of reprisal' are crude ways to represent it in the game.

Prophecy is similarly obscure and beyond mortal understanding. The nearest I can come to is that Prophecy is a profound insight into the nature of the world and the forces at work within it. I don't think prophecy comes from the gods as such. Gods, Giants and Dragons have prophesied from time to time so presumably the inspiration is something that comes from within, or is inspired by forces even greater than even them.

Not all prophecies come to pass, not even true prophecies.

Simon Hibbs