Archery <> Murder

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 98 22:47 MET DST

Philipp Hibbs asked:

> Someone please remind me, where does it say that (to the Orlanthi)
> killing with a bow is murder?

While I can't say that this hasn't been in print anywhere, I don't believe that killing with a bow is murder to the Orlanthi. In that case, for example the Runegate Triarchy tribes would be hard pushed to tell what they train Kuschile archery for... Also there is Jarani Whitetop who wielded the bow of Jorganos in the battle of Arrowtop Mountain.

I like to use the Icelandic interpretation of man-slaying: an unannounced killing is murder. Anything else is a man-slaying with the slayer announcing that he killed his opponent, thereby taking legal responsibility for the kill. I doubt it matters much whether the killer used an axe, burned down a stead, or let an arrow fly true.

It is harder to have a honourable duel with bow and arrow, true, unless the participants do something as silly as the gentleman pistol duel with bow and arrow. But I do believe that the Orlanthi are too pragmatic to ponder the differences in honourable behaviour throwing javelins or shooting arrows.

You don't let an arrow fly at an enemy champion challenging your champion, but if your champion is an archer, he may well step forth, accept the challenge (in shouting range) and get bow and arrow ready while the opponent rushes in. It takes a lot of coolness to do this, since after the shot you are shieldless (before as well). It helps to have a weapon ready to continue the discussion.

Remember, too, that a single arrow, even hitting critically, is unlikely to kill an opponent at once. The opponent may still have his chance to get at the archer if a honourable fight is the objective of this exercise - effective range for reliable hits varies with the quality of the archer, but would be about shouting range. And these shots still could be dodged, though admittedly less efficiently than javelins.