Iron Diamond Dwarfs

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_hol.fr>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 18:41:31 +0200

Peter Metcalfe replying to Richard Develyn
> >Elder Secrets says that a diamond X dwarf has 9 skills at 2000% !!!
> >Seems a bit excessive to me - are such skill levels always possible?
> >A diamond iron dwarf could murder everything in Dorastor, couldn't
> >it?
>
> They are possible but they are not guarantees of invincibility.
> Even humans can defeat an iron diamond dwarf although this requires
> ample preparation and dirty tactics.

Basically agree with you, Peter, except that RQ breaks down at skill levels that high, unless you tweak it. If you do tweak it so that iron diamond dwarfs are accurately simulated, then they are *quite* defeatable by other SuperRuneQuest types, *especially* in Dorastor.

Whether such SRQ characters are excessive or not is essentially a matter of scope. In an intimate RQ campaign, yes they are. In a HW campaign, probably not, although they *may* be more elegantly simulated than by RQ four figure percentiles ... Don't know, 'cos I haven't seen HW.

IMHQ 2000% is maximum mortal skill level, but Gods, Superheroes and Heroes on Quest with Huge Support can go up to 10.000%. (theoretically, that is. I've NEVER played that high, nor do I expect to ...)

A more practical maximum campaign level for a tweaked version of RQ HeroQuesting is probably about 800%, roughly equivalent to AD&D 8th level ... (aaargh he's mentiond TOG !!! ) Again, I've never played that high, so could be v. wrong ...

In non-tweaked or otherwise-tweaked RQ, iron diamond dwarfs are defeated by numbers, luck, planning, and/or brains, as Peter quite rightly suggests.

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #640