re: Deezola; Aggar; Dark Orbiter

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 10:42:14 -0800

Ian Thomson wrote

> In Lunar Lore, Deezola's cult is considered to be that of Chalana
> Arroy, healed of her pacifism in the face of absolute evil.

> In principal and in action, Deezola cultists of the Seven Mothers and
> of the pure cult, all tend to fill the roles of diplomats,
> arbitrators, interpreters, messengers between antagonistic parties,

This sounds like Issaries (or Orlanth Goodvoice) not Chalana Arroy. Healers after all heal. It's devotees of the Talking God who talk.

> aggar, jolanti, city of 10,000 magicians

Have you checked my web site's Aggar page, and read Enclosure 2's wealth of information on Aggar? Not much on the City, but it's a place to start.

Peter Metcalfe replied

> I doubt think the city of 10 000 magicians causes that much disturbance
> within Aggar as the lunars are trying to prevent people from entering.

Actually, I think it's the inhabitants who try to prevent people from entering.

Richard Develyn wrote

> My poor brain is having difficulty with this concept of something
> emanating darkness the same way a light source emanates light.

But Darkness is an element in Glorantha. I don't think the Dark Orbiter is such, but you could think of an endless source of shades, which stream out to land on the surface of the moon. Eventually they return to the dark otherworld whence they came.

> What happens when a light source and a darkness source "shine" in the
> same room - do you see something which is light, dark, grey, pitch
> black?

I believe there are few darkness sources in Glorantha these days (a dark cave is not a source). However, the moon shows that darkness sources can completely obscure sources of light. At least of red light.