Darkness

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 98 22:08 MET DST

Richard Develyn:
>My poor brain is having difficulty with this concept of something
>emanating darkness the same way a light source emanates light.

Think of it as a black hole. It sucks up all light emanating from the face of the moon looking towards it.

>This has arisen from the discussions we were having about Destrix - the
>point of darkness which circles the red moon (which we now know is >_all_ red).

IMO it glows all red where Destrix doesn't affect the Lunar glow. Lunar Glow isn't quite "light" - Nick once described it as an absence of Darkness.

I don't think that Destrix blocks non-Lunar light on its way to the surface world. It may dampen the light, but an observer will still see the dark face of the moon in the sky. It will be hard to distinguish features on it even in the bright light of Yelm, IMO.

If you have a half moon, the stars right next to the moon on the dark side aren't blocked out by an extra bulge of darkness above the moon IMO. It may appear weakened right next to the moon, but probably on both sides.

>Is there a difference between darkness and lack of light?

Lack of light is known as Shadow, or Surface Darkness.

True Darkness is heavy, oppressive, cold, fear-inciting, hungry (swallows light, and more), penetrating, formless. It serves as the carrier of Darksense much like Sonar is carried by water or air.

Shadow has just a little bit of Darkness, and may serve as (very thin) carrier of Darksense. There is no lack of light without some sort of darkness being a reason for it.

>What happens when a light source and a darkness source "shine" in the
>same room - do you see something which is light, dark, grey, pitch
>black?

Yes. Depends on where you are.

A "darkness source" usually has a distinct boundary zone, like a cloud. In this boundary zone, you get shades (no pun intended) of grey.

A light source won't penetrate a shade or a Darkwall spell. If this light source is the only one in your room, you will have shadow behind the "darkness source".

OTOH if you have a room filled with Darkness, with a single light source within, the light will have a distinct boundary zone which it can reach. You won't find this sort of darkness ordinarily, but it is described for instance in Oliver Dickinson's Griselda story about Devil's Playground.