Aggar and Hill of Gold

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 20:39:08 +1200 (NZST)

David Dunham:

Me>> I doubt think the city of 10 000 magicians causes that much disturbance
>> within Aggar as the lunars are trying to prevent people from entering.

>Actually, I think it's the inhabitants who try to prevent people from
>entering.

It depends. I do feel that most of the wise scholars in the City are lunars and they would carry sufficient influence with the King of Aggar or the Lunar Provincial Government in order to have troops prevent people from entering without authority.

David Cake:

>>There's really no such thing as an Antirius Cult HQ with respect to
>>the Hills of Gold. There was an Orb of the Eye there. The Dara
>>Happans knew that many years ago their god had been killed when
>>attempting to take the Orb. The Dara Happans preserved legends of
>>their god's defeat for many years but it wasn't a ritual they recreated.

> I think the Dara Happans may have recreated parts of the quest (ie
>the part where 'Antirius the Undeceivable is not fooled by his invisible
>Other'), but not known the whole story of the version where Antirius wins.

How can they know the story where Antirius wins when they know that such a thing has never happened? Besides Antirius does not gain the power of being Undecievable at the Hill of Gold - that was a major test of his attribute.

>And they kept trying to recreate the whole myth, and kept failing.

Since we have at the most two legendary attempts by the Dara Happans at the HoG and one historical attempt that was successful the first time around, it makes little sense to suggest the Dara Happans kept recreating the myth and failing.

>>After the Dawn, a Prince of the Ten Tests attempted the HoG quest (and
>>seems to have been the only person to have done so sinec Antirius was
>>killed) and succeeded. Since that time, no Antirius cultist has ever
>>taken the quest, simply because there is no need. It's like questing
>>for the Golden Fleece after Jason has been and gone.

> But you can repeat the quest on a smaller scale - if you are a
>Yelmic noble, and you lose your traditional regalia, you might attempt a
>version of the Antirius quest to regain it. Repeating a quest on a smaller
>scale to gain a smaller reward is a common pattern in Glorantha.

Not all quests are meaningful on a smaller scale. Otherwise Frodo would have simply melted down a gold ring in a fire whenever he was in trouble.

> And there are very good reasons why the quest is not repeated 'for
>real' by the Dara Happans, at least not in its original form. The Orb
>represents the authority of the Emperor - so the Hill of Gold quest
>involves the Emperor losing his authority, and is thus highest treason.
>This is IMO the 'Mythic Trial of Antirius' that the rebellious Enestool
>family attempt (TFS page 26).

Read the next sentence. 'They hoped to wound the ancient god as Kestinoros had done in ancient times'. Since Kestinoros is a Bird-Emperor who had nothing to do with the HoG, the reference does not mean a HoG quest. Likewise the Elmexdros Rolls notes say the conspiracy involved 'evil sorcerers'. Lastly the modern emperors of Dara Happa do not have the Orb of the Eye but are still Emperors. After it was lost, it became replaced by Antirius in Imperial Portraits without any problem because the orb of the eye wasn't part of the imperial regalia in the first place.

>The Hill of Gold quest as practiced by the
>modern descendants of the Antirius worshippers IMO involves going up the
>Footstool instead (ie is probably part of the Ten Tests - its certainly
>this part of the Ten Tests that seems to involve fighting, anyway).

Going up the Footstool is part of the Ten Tests. The HoG quest is not part of the Ten Tests and is far more recent than the Ten Tests. What does a myth of Antirius have to do with becoming Emperor of Dara Happa?