Myths and History

From: richard <richard.develyn_at_nwpeople.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 14:14:51 +0100

I feel from reading various heroquest related post that there is a consensus of opinion as to how myths may be related to historical events.

In particular I feel that most of you believe that myths have some sort of resistance to change, though you accept that they _can_ be changed and therefore cannot ever be considered to provide _proof_ of past events (Uz Lore in A-H Trollpak makes a statement to the contrary at the bottom of p.8 - which I'm ignoring at present 'cos I think it's a mistake).

I'd like to try to focus in a bit on this with an example (following on from one which I think was started by Nick B) "The Clan and The Lions".

  1. Clan has problem with Lions.
  2. Hero appears, beats up hefty Lion, and starts the "Local Boy Beats Up Lion" myth.
  3. Myth regularly re-enacted. Gradual retreat and disappearance of lion problem.
  4. Separate troubles afflict clan. Clan moves out / disbanded, but not totally wiped out.
  5. Many years later clan returns to original homeland. Lions are back.
  6. Clan elders consulted about myth "Local Boy Beats Up Lion". Silly old duffers can't remember exactly what happened (What was the time of day? What weapons did the hero use? Was he on his own? etc).
  7. Clan settles on the best version they can, which is different to the original. They attempt to re-enact it.
  8. What happens next?

[ I draw your attention to the fact that they are re-enacting an old myth rather than trying to create a new one. How important is their accuracy in determining their success? ]

Richard
- --

Richard Develyn                                 Tel: (UK)-1732-743591
Principal Architect / Development Manager       Fax: (UK)-1732-743597
Network People International                    http://www.nwpeople.com