Fwd: Hero Wars review, part 2: Game Mechanics

From: Chaosium Inc. <chaosium_at_chaosium.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 98 10:38:13 -0700

Subject:     Hero Wars review, part 2: Game Mechanics
Sent:        6/4/98 8:26 PM
From:        Charles Domino, cdomino_at_wt.net
To:          digest_at_glorantha.com

This is the second part of my review: Game Mechanics. Remeber, I am a hardcore
simulationist, not a strong "roleplayer."

There are no skills, stats, or spells. Everything is represented by Abilities. Anything that can alter the world in any way (even changing someone's mind) is an Ability.

Abilities are represented by a Target # (roll => on d20) and a certain number of Action Points
(AP). Note that the AP are always equal to 24-T#
(not counting any bonuses). Thus a character with
a T# of 16 has only 8 AP. If he has a T# of 10, he has 14 AP, and so on. When rolling the die, modifiers may be in effect for spells or difficulty of the task.
The latter could be: trying to shortcut a ritual, mood of a crowd, drawing on the ability of an associated god (as opposed to your own), angered deities, being winded, etc. Note that rolling exactly the Target # awards the player a "plot point," which is explained later. There is no longer a resistance table, but you do still have to make a statement of intent at the beginning of the round. :)

Simple resolutions invovle one die roll vs. the target # by each party (GM and player), then cross referencing each result on a matrix. The result levels are: Big Success, Success, Failure, Big Failure. The larger the disparity in levels of success, the greater and more lasting the result. Though this is meant for interacting with NPCs or resolving simple spellcastsing, internal conflicts can be worked out in this fashion--do I forsake my vows and kill my prisoner or not?
(Author's note: Obviously, a GM would be wise not

to make players do this for every single internal action/decision, only for those that strike at the core of the player's position/beliefs.)

NOTE: I have contradictory notes indicating the higher roll wins, not the higher result, as long as the winning roll is over the target number, but I distinctly recall a simple action resolution matrix. Based on the amount of difference perhaps? Could someone clarify this?

A more complex resolution system comes into play for the key conflicts, casting major rituals, or fighting. In this, the AP become important. A player blindly (without knowledge of the NPC opponent's AP) bids a certain number of points. They each roll, cross reference their results, and adjust their AP levels. The same success levels exist, only now the final result is expressed in multiples of the bid each party wins or loses
(1-4x). The wins or losses adjust the character's
AP total, and if either reaches zero or less the contest ends immediately. Assuming it didn't, the round proceeds and the original defender gets a chance to bid and roll.

Initiative is determined in the first round on a group basis, by the situation (i.e. GM's judgement). Thereafter the higher AP goes first in each round. Starting in the second round, players can ask what the AP level of their opponent is.

Casting combat enhancement spells and some unopposed attacks can be resolved on the simple table via an additional die roll. Missile combat with an actively defending target is not unopposed, and uses the complex resolution. However, the defender cannot gain AP from the attacker, no matter what the result. This is not the case when two missile users are attacking each other; then the possible exchange of AP is just like being in melee combat. Healing seems to be resolved through an exchange of AP, facilitated by

a simple resolution roll. Actual attack spells involve use of the complex resolution system--and can therefore backfire!

The contest continues until one character or the other is driven to zero or below. The further negative the loser is driven, the worse the consequences. In combat terms, -49 is death, 0 is merely winded. Thus AP (remember, ACTION POINTS, not armor points!), represent both a degree of advantage in the conflict (be it against an enemy knight, a chaos horror, a hostile spirit, or a souless meldek), and a sort of hit points.

AP reset to the basic value when switching abilities (spell vs. combat, for instance), or in the next scene. There are also rules for injury, death, healing, and just being generally beaten up.

End, part 2

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #644