Strong Winter Darkness; Mute Yelm

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 23:08:37 -0400 (EDT)

The Darkness thread reminded me of a pet theory -- namely, is Darkness "stronger" in Darkness season, and Light "stronger" in Fire season?

I'm guessing that at least in Genertela, the days grow shorter in winter, and longer in summer (just a guess; at least ES notes "When Yelm is weak it is winter, a wet cold and shadowy season", and vice versa."). IMO, the days are shorter because Yelm is weaker, and the light is less able to fight the spread of Darkness; in summers, the light is stronger, and more able to invade the night.

So in Fire Season, your torch, lantern, Light spirit magic, etc. are all noticeably more powerful at night; and in Dark Season, you can see the darkness pressing in at them, darkness spells spread a little farther, etc.

Hmm -- it just hit me. If darkness is the conduit for sound, then before the Troll Exodus, could Yelm talk? Are those long, long, boring Yelmist lituries the result of his tenure in Hell? A curse indeed! ;)

Would kind of beggar the question of what Orlanth and Yelm were doing at the Music Contest, too. Performance art?

Boy, think of the trollish mockery. "Stoopid hoomans -- invent harp before they have sound. What they use it for, cheese slicer?"

James Frusetta