SuperRuneQuest

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_hol.fr>
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 1998 12:48:10 +0200

Hi, this is a crossover post to both the RQ Rules and Glorantha lists.This thread probably belongs to RQ Rules ... Don't think it belongs in the Glorantha list. Please e-mail me privately if you think it does ...

Lewis Jardine :

> > IMHQ 2000% is maximum mortal skill level, but Gods, Superheroes
> > and Heroes on Quest with Huge Support can go up to 10.000%.
> > (theoretically, that is. I've NEVER played that high,
> > nor do I expect to ...)
>
> Irrelevant, why worry about numbers when the game system is already
> out the window.

'cos it isn't. Basic RPG isn't, at any rate.

> RQ is Good to 100% and OK to 200% and completely
> meaningless above it (in much the same way that Pendragon(Pass) is).
>
> > A more practical maximum campaign level for a tweaked version of RQ
> > HeroQuesting is probably about 800%, roughly equivalent to AD&D 8th
> > level ... (aaargh he's mentiond TOG !!! )
>
> I think not, 8th level AD&D (pting!) is still very mundane,
> not even rune level.

Not I think in its combat rules. 8th level characters can realistically enter mass combat as heroes.

> AD&D (pting!) has priests starting at 9th level...
> I would think that you are out by an order of magnitude.
> Both systems work best at 50 to 90%/ 5th to 9th level.

Fighters get eight attacks/round vs. zero-level humans.Equivalent to RQ 80% ? I think not. If you look at Sun County, and think about the Sun Dome soldiery a bit, it becomes obvious that 50% to 90% is ordinary soldier level. Zero-level humans.

My own tweaked RQ rules work well at any level, I think...

> > Again, I've never played that high, so could be v. wrong ...
>
> I have both in RQ (up to 200%) and AD&D (up to 20th level)
> and both systems were at their limits (but still fun in a slightly
> silly manner).

well, I'm running 200% RQ, and think I'll go higher, but probably not up to four-figure percentiles. I have put in one 800%+ NPC (Argrath circa 1620).

I have also played in an AD&D campaign which took our first level characters to 36th level (years of intensive play ... aah, we were young & foolish ... ), where even tweaked AD&D breaks down totally (ie it won't go no matter HOW hard you shove, or HOW hard you tweak ... )

Running the Argrath NPC felt like running an 8th level character to me ...