Questing; Pelorian cults; Hill of Gold

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1998 16:20:50 -0800

Richard Develyn asked

> they are re-enacting an old
> myth rather than trying to create a new one. How important is their
> accuracy in determining their success?

Even creative heroquesting probably doesn't create a new myth, it creates a new quest.

In general, accuracy is always important, even if it's seldom obtainable. It was clear in the passage Greg read at Glorantha-Con VII that, in order to gain the abilities of a hero, his weaknesses had to be taken on as well. It would be possible to omit this step, but then the identification with the hero wouldn't be as strong.

As I recall from a draft of Harmast's Saga, the LBQ goes horribly wrong when they have to make a substitution with the elves.

Chris Bell asked

> Does anyone have details on the cults of Shargash, Dendara the Entekos,
>Erissa, and
> other Pelandan/Dara Happan deities, in RQ3 terms?

Shargash is detailed pretty well in Enclosure 1.

> how would the Godlearners reconciled them
> with the rest of Genertelan mythology

However you think they would have. The God Learners are said in most sources not to have gotten to Peloria, which after all was under EWF domination. (There's a reference to god learning in Entekosiad, but this probably refers to a different group using similar techniques.)

> how Dara Happans and Carmanians view Orlanthi deities from Sartar and Esrolia

Surely they don't. How often does a Carmanian get to Sartar after all?

If posted there, they surely want as little to do with barbarians as possible, let alone their deities. If they do think of them, it'd be as inferior gods, full of lies and treachery.

> Lunars have a very cosmopolitan view, acknowledging the
> Lightbringers in their myths

Ah, you mean the gods of Saird and Aggar.

> Are there any shared myths of Shargash and Orlanth, Godlearner-created or
> otherwise?

Both have an Aroka connection.

As for the Hill of Gold, I'll just remind everyone that this is extensively covered in Enclosure 2.

I do not think Vinga features in the Hill of Gold myth.

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #646