Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #648

From: Charles Domino <cdomino_at_wt.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 19:06:42 -0500

> Subject: Arfritha locations, harder questions

> While we've all found our maps, then, a slightly harder question.
> KoS, talking about the (second) destruction of the Karandoli, has the Colymar King
> hunting in the Six Sisters Hills. One of the hills is noted as being that of the bee-
> headed sister. Any ideas where these are? I can find Three Sisters Hills on the
> Greydog map, but not Six of them. All I can come up with is the idea that there are
> three more a bit further away, which the Greydog don't count as part of the same
> group.

Remember, the southern version of Argrath's Saga was the "less correct" one of the two, according to Stafford. Perhaps some geographical errors also crept in. While there's no reason not to hunt for info, don't get tied up by it. If you accept wrong maps into your campaign, you are only following the path Chaosium has blazed by publishing _deliberately_ erroneous maps! (c.f. Genertela map from GoG; Shadow's Dance map from Trollpak) Truly accurate maps are a Godlearner (or modern) contrivance anyway!

> From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_hol.fr>
> Subject: High Level Glorantha
>
> > The fragment that Greg read was that of an Heroic combat. [ SNIP ]

> > [SNIP again] ..... one of the
> > SFC guys (again, don't remember the name) asked Greg how often the average
> > Gloranthan sees a combat like the one in the reading.
> >
> > Greg sez (nonchalantly), "Oh, about once a year."

> Heh. Powergaming Vindicated !

I disagree. As noted in my prior post, I think he ran a reference to the I Fought We Won rituals during the Sacred Time right past everyone. Of course if you want vindication, I've got this trireme that'll give you air support....

Don't mention powergaming to me--you see, I've got an Orlanthi priest who conceived of binding a large sylph into a boat, along with a LOT of extension. Once he demonstrated the principle was workable, he set about convincing others to help--and now there's an Orlanthi flying trireme in my campaign! I still blame myself for being talked into that. And so do some of my players.

> From: gharris_at_mindspring.com (George W. Harris)
> >From: Doyle Wayne Ramos-Tavener <tavener_at_swbell.net>
>
> >Charles is just being modest. At one point he was a gaping prisoner, and
> >for a simulationist, he played the role fairly well.
>
> Uh, no, it just seems you don't really understand what is meant by
> 'simulationist' (and have thus succeeding in insultiing them all by implying
> that simulationists can't roleplay).

 To clarify: #1: I am not insulted by Doyle's remark.

                  #2:  What I meant was, I  prefer a "realistic" system to a "storytelling"
system, and if roleplaying would slow down the plot, I rarely roleplay for it's own sake, and neither do my players. Take the aforementioned flying trireme--I feel in the HW system, such a wild contrivance makes sense, both by rules and game design/intent. Under RQ III rules, I consider it barely legal and highly abusive. Yet both games are expressions of the SAME world.

Charlie Domino