Hero Wars

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 00:16:45 -0700

Trosky writes:
> I'd have to agree that Robin's idea of what constitutes an enjoyable
>gaming experience appears different in many ways from my own. The question
is
>whether the final draft of the rules will compel players to adopt a
>'cinematic' or 'heroic fantasy fiction' style of game rather than a more
>enjoyable one (from my POV). Those who do enjoy 'cinematic' gaming are
clearly
>well catered for already (and I disagree with your comment that they ought
>stick to telling stories - let 'em do whatever they want, I say) - but
will
>Hero Wars leave those Gloranthaphiles who don't out in the cold?

For what it is worth, I find Hero Wars completely compatible with my "film noire" conception of Glorantha. I hate "heroic fantasy fiction" as a genre, but I've found that HW is well-adapted for other literary genres - including my predilection for running Icelandic sagas style games or whatever-the-heck-my-heroquests are. Again, ask any of the SFC crowd or the folk who were in my LA Con session whether they think that HW dictates a "heroic fantasy" game. I suspect that the answer will be - "nope".

Jeff