Myths and History

From: richard <richard.develyn_at_nwpeople.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 11:37:17 +0100

[Last Rvcd Dig 650]

re Uz Lore p.8:

Simon Hibbs said:

>That depends on your definition of proof. Most gloranthan would say
>that if you can carry out a heroquest, and you succeed, and then
>demonstrate powers which were gained as a result then obviously the
>quest must be true. What other test of proof is meaningful?

>Note I do not mean true in a historic sense. As I have said earlier, I
>do not believe that heroquests are history per se, they are myth. Few
>gloranthans would understand the difference though and even fewer would
>care about it.

If Simon is essentially qualifying Peter then basically I agree with both. My problem came with the idea that the _proof_ mentioned in Uz Lore was objective rather than subjective. I'm not sure (still) whether you can _prove_ anything using HQs.

There was some difference of opinion on how accurate you need to get to the original quest in order for your re-enacment to succeed.

David Dunham added:

> Even creative heroquesting probably doesn't create a new myth, it
> creates a new quest.

When is a new myth created?

Once a myth _is_ created, is there a force within the myth itself (or within the hero plane) which tries to keep it true to the original event. That's my entire driving force on this thread.

If you try to re-enact a myth and get it wrong, do you know you have? Can you find out, through more and more re-enacments, through trial and error, without referring to any other records, what the right version of the myth is?

If that is so, what force within the hero plane is causing this to happen? If it is like grooves on clay tablet, what is the clay?

More from Simon Hibbs:

>In the above case, we now have two lion killing quests. Both quests
>were established by heroes who successfuly killed a lion. Both are in
>fact historicaly true in some sense.

Does re-enacting a myth (slightly wrong) establish a new one? If so then is there a difference between re-enacting and originally creating a myth?

I feel I'm asking some very basic questions about how heroquesting works, and maybe I should just wait for HW to be published (assuming it'll provide answers). The allegory of the little and big grooves which I think Simon Hibbs proposed is a nice starting point but begs a lot of questions. Is there any point pursuing this or will all be made clear in the near future?

Cheers

Richard
- --

Richard Develyn                                 Tel: (UK)-1732-743591
Principal Architect / Development Manager       Fax: (UK)-1732-743597
Network People International                    http://www.nwpeople.com