New Campaign: An Orlanthi coming of age initiation

From: Bruce Hollebone <hollebon_at_cyberus.ca>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 12:20:51 -0400

Hello Lozenge,

I'm starting a new campaign for a very experienced group who have never played in Glorantha before. I've been a Gloranthaphile for years and would like to turn this unsuspecting group to the Mythic side of gaming. Together, we could rule the Lozenge! *cough* Sorry.

My plan is to start them in at about 1600 as young initiates somewhere in Sartar (I haven't picked a tribe yet) then work through the timeline into the Hero Wars. I've settled on using Pendragon Pass rules for simplicity---the group has just finished a year-long diceless experiment. Also I'd like to play a family-centric rather than individual pc-centric kind of game to give us enough longevity to explore the whole time period.

So, what I'd like to do is start the game with a coming of age ceremony for the new characters. The King of Sartar mentions that children become adults at about 12 in some kind of ritual. I'm going to assume that this is an initiation into Orlanth/Ernalda which happens during the Sacred Time. My plan is to run them through a mini hero quest showing a few sides to Orlanth and Ernalda. My question is this: which myths are at the core of Orlanthi mythology? Which ones would be considered the most important for young people to experience?

My thought is: Wooing Ernalda/Three Tests of Yelm/Slaying the Evil Emperor.
>From my reading of the myths this is a defining moment for Orlanth---his coming of
age. Before this he is just the younger brother, after he is king of the gods. It's a major cycle, I know, but I don't think it would be too dangerous for kids to run through as a re-enactment. It also has the benefit of showing new players a core myth of the Sartarite culture. In the next session (and the next week of Sacred Time) we could run through a Lightbringer pageant to renew the world for the next year.

What would be appropriate benefits to new Initiates for completing such a quest? A minor item (like a focus tattoo) or a chance to sacrifice for one-use magic? An enhanced skill (in case someone criticals and wins the dance competition say)? A new fiancee? Do Orlanthi marry that early, or would this just be a commitment to "future consideration"?.

Thanks in advance,
Bruce hollebon (at) cyberus.ca