engineers & plowing the ROC

From: Pam Carlson <carlsonp_at_wolfenet.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 12:00:37 -0700

Nick Davison asks -
> Can anyone provide me with a few details on whoever carries
> out the Engineering work for the Lunar Empire please?

My guess would be that a large part of the daily tasks fall on the common soldiers. Many Lunar soldiers from the heartlands are Lodrilli. Those from the far provinces would be Barntari, and presumeabley all are good at digging.

(BTW - here in the SFC we have decided that the character "Chef" from Southpark would make a great Lodril...)

For specialized tasks, (and a tradition of siege engeneering does exist in both DH and Carmania), I would offer up the followers of Mohenjar, the god of builders, overseers, and water containment projects. Mythically, he is a son of Lodril and Oslira, a DH deity of civil construction.

Perhaps Nick Brooke coult give you mor info about Carmanian siege traditions.

Also, Hwarin Dalthippa's worshippers excel at building roads and bridges. I imagine there could be some specialized building units in the Lunar army, ("The Fighting Seebees", anyone?) as well as individual officers or NCO's who know enough to direct soldiers in more complex tasks.

Harald Smith had a nice write up pf the HD cult a while back. Mohenjar is described only in Gods & Goddesses of the Lunar Empire, (Enclosure 1) with snippets in GROY.

Engineers are a great idea. Have fun with 'em!

Also, if you're in Pavis/ROC, I think we discussed on the digest (or was it a con?) a while ago that the Lunar settlers farming the ROC have an advantage. They likely use the Lodrlli heavy plow, which takes several men to operate (which is one reason the Lodrilli tend to live communally), and is adapted for heavy flood plain/grassland soils. The Sartarites use the smaller Barntar plow, which is designed for lighter mountainous soils. As you can imagine, the plot and intrigue potential surrounding this fact are enormous....

Farm on!

Pam