Red Hair

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 23:53:57 +0100

Dave Dunham says inter alia:

> BTW, I believe red hair occurs naturally among most Wareran populations

> (we know it does in Pentans). I think Vinga happened to have red hair,

> there's nothing mythical about it.

We know of fairly strong links between the Red Headed Women and the early Vingans. I agree that the origin of Vinga had naturally red hair, but suspect this was unusual among the people of the time. Not unknown, but unusual, or it wouldn't be remarked on.

I would guess that the foreigner Beren(eth) had red hair, and passed it on to his daughters, along with strange foreign ideas like women fighting. But again, that's only a guess. (What colour is Elmal's hair? Hyalor's? Kuschile's?)

What does puzzle me is the significance of red hair in Glorantha. The Lunars have a thing about red-headed Pentans. The Orlanthi have a thing about red-headed women (but not men?) Why? What is so special about red hair?

<nofill>
Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/