Coupla topics

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 20:10:38 +1200 (NZST)

Erik Sieurin

>Now, what's the 'reason' Infinity and Magic look like they do? I like
>to think of Infinity as the Cosmic Dragon coiled sround eating its
>tail, but what about Magic?

The Cosmic Dragon is indeed depicted as eating its tail according to the Dragon Pantheon writeup at www.glorantha.com. The 'Mastering the Runes' article at the same site says this of the magic rune:

        'This symbol's vertical upright line represents the shaman's
        pole, which he uses to climb into the world of the gods while
        in a trance.  The jagged slash represents the power sent from
        on high or the gods' world, symbolized as lightning.'
                http://www.glorantha.com/library/eurmal/intro-runes.html

Bruce Hollebone:

>My question is this: which myths are at the core of Orlanthi mythology?
>Which ones would be considered the most important for young people to
>experience?

The standard myth for initiation is the initiation of Orlanth in KoS. The would-be initiate is abandoned by wicked uncles to some evil threat in the hope that he or she will be destroyed. In overcoming the threat, the orlanthi becomes initiated.

>What would be appropriate benefits to new Initiates for completing such
>a quest?

The benefits of adulthood are traditional. Anything else is an optional extra depending on the wealth of the clan.

Pam Carlson:

>I imagine there could be some specialized building units in the Lunar army,
>("The Fighting Seebees", anyone?) as well as individual officers or NCO's
>who know enough to direct soldiers in more complex tasks.

The Lunars also have magical engineers which were used at the siege of Whitewall.

        'The Seven of Vistur built seven long ramps from the ground to
        the wall, and although they thought it would be easy, several
        hundred troops whose souls served as a power source died in
        supporting the deed.'
                        KoS p148.