Re: Hero Wars

From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 19:51:14 +0200

Alex:

> Another Hero Wars issue: Greg made some comment that Personality Traits
> weren't going to be in the new game, Robin clarified that _Pendragon_
> style traits wouldn't be, as it wasn't a BRP-based system anyway. Can
> anyone now give us more of a clue as to how such matters _are_ going to
> be handled in HW, based on the playtest sessions (or otherwise)?

You can have a personality trait as an ability, just like you can have skills as abilities. E.g. the nasty Char-Un cossack over there might have a Cruel ability of 6/18. The Yelm Sun Lord may have Just 8/16, the Yanafal Tarnils lord can have Honourable 8/16 etc.

To those worrying about the "literary" model of Hero Wars, I think the worry is unnecessary. Just as you can run plot-oriented games in RQ, you can run character-oriented ones in HW. It's the flow of action which follows book/movie conventions, not (necessarily) the plot/campaign development.

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind nilsw_at_ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689/