Uz anti-aldryami tactics

From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 19:51:06 +0200

A couple of weeks ago, my girlfriend and I took a walk in her parents' forest, checking for signs of bark beetles, which are said to be on the move again.

That made me realize how smart Uz take on an Aldryami forest. First, the Zorak Zoran berserks charge in headlong of course, accomplishing very little. After half a dozen attempts or so, the mothers tire of plucking the arrows out of their sorry hides, so the Xiola Umbar priestess soothes their frothing rage while the mothers call in the Gorakiki shamans.

These worthies start breeding bark beetles and summon bark beetle spirits. These then attack the forest. It may take a year or five, but eventually trees start to die and now the Aldryami have to start worrying.

I'm sure there are even particularly nasty insects which attack the mobile trees (Aldryami that is). The Aldryami may be pretty stoic, but having disgusting insect larvae crawling under your skin (bark?) eating their way probably creeps them out.

That said, the Aldryami have countermeasures of course. Their shamans try to drive out the insect spririts and the herb masters brew sap into a fluid which smells very temptingto bark beetles and use it to create "traps" where the beetles drown in water or can be crushed.

This kind of war can be all but invisible to onlooking humans, but still rage for decades.

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind nilsw_at_ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689/