Alex and the Arfritha

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 15:27:28 -0700

Alex "Good Sport" Ferguson writes:
> >Capsule summary: appears to agree with Jeff Richard's information
> >(much as this pains me), and to disagree with the Trollpak map. Oh
> >well.
>Well, apart from the inherent painfulness of said agreement, in
>this case the other answers were argued from in-print sources, and
>my initial reaction was that Peter's answer was correct. I feel like
>an Accessory to Gregging... Also, the TP map is such a good one
>(bumster cool?) I'm vaguely annoyed at the idea of it being wrong.

It's not wrong. The Boranni river is that portion of said river as it flows from Jonstown to its juncture with the Creek. The Arfritha river is that portion of said river as it flows through the Arfritha vale upstream from Jonstown. Easy enough - the river has different names in different areas. Probably different gods/goddess of the river as well. Sort of like the Thames - which if I recall has a different name where it flows by Oxford.

>> When my source is a published bit of information, I usually happily give
>> it. In this case, it is unpublished
>I imagined it might be, as was mine own -- I still think it's useful
>to at least do some basic Source Triage on such "references"; to wit,
>It's In the Book/I Made It Up/Secret Knowledge. Or at least, it always
>seems to have been a good idea in hindsight, after there's just been a
>flamewar on the subject, so perhaps an ounce of prevention...

Personally, I hate citing Secret Knowledge. I had hoped to be able to cite the map in Enclosure, but unfortunately we didn't label the rivers when we drew the map.