RE: newbie Gloranthans

From: Mittmann, Mike <Mike_Mittmann_at_affymetrix.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 08:28:41 -0700

> <dave_at_starfish.net.au> says:

> Charles Domino talks about how Glorantha can be
offputting to a new player.

>>HW may skim off players tired of the complexity or immaturity
of other game worlds/

>>systems/players, but I worry about its mass acceptance.
>
>You only need to know the basics of how your own village works,
plus a bit of broad

>brushstroke background - as compared to Vampire

        I disagree with this, the main advantage to WOD is we know the world, I know all of the

        reasonable options on how to get from Chicago to New York, and about how long they will

        take, and what the risks are. A newbie gloranthan doesn't know (heck I don't know)

        all of the reasonable ways of getting from Boldhome to Dragon's Eye ( or how long they will take),

        or if she will be able to find a place to stay or food when I get there.

        Similarly, in WOD, I know if I've been insulted or not if I've been offered caviar as a

        snack, a newbie has no clue that it is offensive to river folk, but probably not to anyone

        else to offer them newtling tail, let alone the fact that a newtling is sapient, but eating it's

        flesh is seen as perfectly reasonable.

        Finally in WOD the PCs are (presumably) all newcomers to some byzantine secret society,

        so it's just fine if the PCs don't know Toreador from Tremere, but in Glorantha, people grew up

        in the culture they live in, so they'll have a real good idea (which may be wrong) about the

        differences between Sartar and Seven Mothers.

        -mike