About A New List

From: Charles Domino <cdomino_at_wt.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 23:00:10 -0500

Trotsky wrote:

> While I agree that creating a separate forum is
a good idea,
> my understanding is that it is intended for Hero
Wars
> gaming/rules issues, rather than Gloranthan
background.

That was the gist of what I heard, but I could be mistaken.

> So it wouldn't be the ideal place to post new
myth ideas,
> and even if it were, what are you going to do...
ban Peter
> (or anyone else you don't like) from joining the
list? Ban
> mention of Glorious ReAscent or other specific
documents?
> Forbid people from criticising new myth ideas
(or whatever)?
> None of these options seem practicable, nor even
desirable,
> to me.

If you take a simple proposal, and bend it out of shape yourself, it is not a bad idea because you don't like the bent-out-of-shape version that you invented in the first place. Nobody is banning anything from the proposed new list. No more than a discussion of the rules system has been banned from this list. The lists will be defined, and largely self-policing.

As an example, I could start posting stuff about computer programming here. But would it be a valid use of bandwidth? No--it belongs on other mailing lists and I know this. Now I may be misunderstanding you, and if so, I apologize in advance. You may be complaining "how do you discuss cultural/world issues in Glorantha without getting into these documents?" And I would have to agree with you, it would be near impossible--IF you are getting into issues as deep as those discussed here. Logic dictates continuing to post such discussions where the widest _qualified_ audience will read them, and that is here, not on a beginner list. And when beginners are no longer beginners, they'll gravitate to the list that reflects their new, higher level of
knowledge--here.

I would think that "high myth" belongs on this list, while "low myth" and mechanics would belong to the other. Some crossover would be inevitable, but members would naturally tend to say "that's covered better in the other list." So, what are high and low myth? Well, if you're making up a new cult, discussing obscure points from GROY, asking for a complete rundown on the history of Vadrus, etc. it's probably high myth. If it's hard-to-find information an experienced (in Glorantha) GM needs to plan the campaign background or plan a heroquesting adventure, it's probably high myth. On the other hand, if it's asking "does anybody have a map naming the Six Sisters Hills?" or "Why is Humakt the brother of Orlanth but has no Air powers?", it's likely to be low myth or mechanics.

Remember "keywords" from my playtest write-up? A GM who wants to ask simple, beginner questions about them would take one look at this list and run screaming from the room. I've been playing and GM'ing RQ since 1982, and this list
intimidates ME. How many others would feel the same way, especially among new players? I forsee the new list being a free-for-all among
introductory players/GM's. Part Q & A, part disscussion, with interested people from this list acting as unofficial gurus. And it will be needed, IMO.