Re: Hero Wars

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 16:08:24 +0100

Doyle reports of Hero Wars

>Specifically, you can dispatch a minor NPC through a Simple combat roll
>(think Hercules and Xena with all those shmoes being whacked before the
>combat with the major villain begins)

Great, this allows for real "heroic" combat, with hordes of Extras without leaving the players 3/4 dead for dealing with the main villan. Hopefully these can be scaled as necessary to cope with the ability of the party and dramatic neccesity of the story. ("Bushido" had the concept of an "Extra" - an NPC with a single hit-point - but these Extras could be high level samurai as well as just peasant rabble)

Kaevek chips in

>but I think being able to defeat 3 swordsmen with
>your not-very-very-experienced-PC is nonsense. In this way, RQ III
rules
>are more accurate than HW ones. Of course, everyone to his taste.

This is what I mean by "scaled as necessary" - your not very experienced PC will find relatively few Extras, while your Runelord can wade through hordes of them on his way to fighting Ralzakark. Since Doyle specificied "minor NPC's" I assume the GM (do we get a new acronym for the new game?) can declare that the local street gang are not "minor" when the PC's are the new boys in town, or, for instance, in this particular bar room brawl, all the participants are not minor, so even the hero has to fight and can't just stand up and hurl all comers through the window.

| Tim Ellis           EMail tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk                      |
| What is the use of a book without pictures or conversations?            |