Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #654

From: Eric Hansen <ehansen_at_adan.kingston.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 20:08:57 -0400

 Joerg Wrote:

> No new myths are created, only
> hitherto unknown (versions of) myths may be discovered.

I think it's true that heroquesting, and experiencing your people's stories of the past, is not a process that creates new myths. I agree completely that there are certainly versions of myths that are known to some members of a particular culture and not others. Learning an alternate version of a myth would have profound effects on the psyche of a people, who may have doubts cast on their own version of what happened. This is not in any way the creation of a new myth, even if the more recently learned version comes to supplant the traditional one. I think this is a comparatively rare occurrence, as Gloranthan cultures tend to be fairly stable in their beliefs. Nevertheless, it seems to me that new myths are created all the time in Glorantha. These myths are the stories that future generations will tell about the deeds of those alive today. Our (characters') sons and daughters will tell stories about us, and recreate these events to empower themselves, as we recreate the events of our ancestors and gods.

Eric Hansen