Book of the Fathers 8c

From: Bill Thompson <interlit_at_pacificcoast.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 01:09:50 +0100

        Once again we are upon the water. Despite Father's warnings to hurry we took our time. I was glad of it for my stomach was still weak and I found long hours in the saddle difficult. Marie seemed sensitive to this for I found her watching me as I would mount. She showed extraordinary tact in not offering me a hand. My brothers too seemed conscious of my condition and purposely kept our pace slow.

        It took us five days to travel from the Shining City to the edge of the Sodal. Richter put the time to good use by instructing Marie in the Laws. Geoffrey and I rode somewhat apart during these times and discussed our plans. I wanted to travel North to the nearest arm of the Tanier. We could then move up river to Bakan Lake. While there I hoped to take some samples of the lake water for I had heard of its miraculous healing properties.

        Geoffrey argued that we were poorly equipped for an expedition into the marshlands. He spoke of treacherous bogs and fell creatures and in the end I was convinced that he had the right of it. So when we reached the edge of the swamp we followed it to the Northeast until we found ourselves standing on the banks of the Tanier.

        We declared camp at that point. I tended to the horses while Marie and Richter set up the tents and built a fire. Geoffrey quietly slipped away towards a stand of willow. I curried the horses and cleaned their hooves. Then when I judged them sufficiently cooled I escorted them to the water's edge and allowed them to drink. On my fourth trip I was standing with Marie's little bay gelding when motion caught my eye. I looked for it and saw Geoffrey standing knee deep upstream. He had fashioned a pole from the willow and was casting for fish.

        When I finished watering all of the horses I washed myself off and returned to camp. Richter had a fire going and a pot of water heating for his Kalan root. I dug through the packs and found a well oiled frying pan. Richter saw me and smiled. Marie came over and inquired what I was cooking. I said nothing and scraped an area of the fire for coals. When Geoffrey arrived with a brace of trout and some herbs the pan was ready.

        After we had eaten our fill and licked the last bit of juice from our fingers we cleaned camp. Then we curled up around the fire and spoke of many things and nothing together. Geoffrey told us of his battle with an enormous Catfish that dwelled beneath a bridge over the Nidan by Baustin and by the end of the tale his impression of the catfish had us in stitches.

        Then Richter told a tale of his quest for the mantle of virtue and the horrors he encountered thereon. Indeed by the end of his tale we had crept closer to the fire, freshly aware of the gathering dark and the terrors it held. Foolish maybe to sit like children around the campfire but it felt so delightfully scarey and Richter told his tale so well that we all were quite lost in the moment.

        A moment that seemed to stretch on forever as Marie told us how she had crept into the secret trysting chamber of the Duchess Torgalor of Neleoswal. In the midst of her exploration she had been surprised by the appearance of the Duchess and a certain Bishop of Orphalland. Marie had saught refuge under the bed in the hope that they would retire to the drawing room.

        It seemed however that the Duchess was due for a "shrivening". A task which the Bishop strove mightily to accomplish, with the musical accompaniment of many a gasp, moan, and "Oh my dear God." In the end though the Bishop was let down by an all to human failing and the Duchess was moved to offer him the comfort of a glass of Brandy and a generous shoulder to cry upon.

        My brothers and I had tears streaming down our cheeks by the time the Duchess was consoling the poor deflated Bishop but when Marie then told of how she had left with the Duchesses petticoats and the Bishop's codpiece, we began to howl. When we calmed down a bit and Geoffrey asked what use she had for such items she replied, " None, but the unfortunate couple paid handsomely for their return."

        So it was that the next morning found us lazing by the side of the river. We had slept late and then taken a long restful breakfast. Then when all our gear was packed and ready we made our way to the river bank where we sat to discuss our plans. No sooner had we sat down than what hove into view on the river but a small merchant Galley.

        Geoffrey jumped up with a yell and a wave to attract their attention. As they drew level with us the oars slowed to a holding rythm. A man jumped up onto the ship's rail, his long dark hair blowing around his shoulders. He and Geoffrey began to bartar for passage and before long the Galley was sculling in close to a high bank. Anchors were dropped and a plank run out from the side to the ground. Throughout it all the deep booming voice of this impossibly big man rang off of the surrounding hills.

        The horses were blindfolded by the crew and led up the plank with aneconomy that spoke of much practise. We were swept up in the motion and when events slowed down we found ourselves aft with the Captain. Standing next to him was like standing at the foot of Saurdin peak in the Mislari.

	His gaze raked over us and then fixed on Marie. Suddenly his beard
was split by an ivory smile and he bowed deeply. "Welcome aboard my Lady,"
he boomed in what I took to be his gentle voice.  Then he turned and
unleashed a great bellow. "Usamy!"

        My gaze followed his to the figure at the Helm. A slim woman with hair that though shorn close to her scalp, shone like a golden beacon. She handed off the wheel and moved towards us. Her gate was smooth against the motion of the Galley and I noticed that Richter was watching her approach with great interest.

        I leaned close to him and said quietly, "What do you see?"

        "Look at her sword," he replied.

        It was a slender blade, about three feet long with no curve. The hilt was protected by a basket of interwoven Quicksilver and even through the scabard I could see the glow of its dweomer. "Unusual design," I prompted.

        He nodded. "I heard about that style while I was in the Order. It has a double edge and a point, good for both thrusting and slashing. Master Lund said that no style had better footwork."

        She had reached us at that point so we ceased our talk and listened as she gave the Captain a lashing.

        "Kendall, I wasn't in Arstola. If you must shake the Rockwoods would you kindly choose to do so when we are further from the swamp. Or would you prefer to have those blood bats sweep in on us because you woke them with that great thoughtless thunder you call a voice."

        Not in the least abashed he turned to us. " Gentlesirs and Lady allow me to present my first mate the Lady..."

        "Usamy." She cut him off, her voice cutting through his. "Please call me Usamy. You have already made the acquaintance of Captain Kendall I see, along with anyone in the Dangaie who isn't completely deaf."

        At that he did look somewhat discomfited for in the excitement of our boarding he had neglected to name himself. He turned to us and flashed that toothy smile once again. "That's why I keep her around," he said. "She keeps me on the straight path when my feet just naturally want to follow the bends."

        He thrust his hand out and said," My name is Kendall Stonearm. I call nowhere but the water my home. I've sailed with the Waertagi, wrestled the winds and stood on Magasta's maw and screamed into the face of hell. And I'm passing glad to have made your acquaintance."

        Richter took Kendall's great hand in his own and shook it.
"Greetings Stonearm," he replied. "I am Richter D'Auberne, I have stood on
the left side of Death and returned, my sword sings in battle and victory is it's refrain."

        Geoffrey in turn took Kendall's hand. He grinned up at the big man and said," Geoffrey D'Auberne. The woodfolk call me brother. I have seen what lays at the feet of Genert and I carry it still. My feet have led me from the Heart of the Kanthor to the depths of Hellcrack and I have made all places my home."

        I envied my brothers glib tongues as I held out my own hand to be buried within Kendall's grip. " I am Tomas D'Auberne," I said. "And I am a child of death. Terror I have made my own. I was wetnursed on pain and weaned with lonelyness. Destruction is my birthright and oblivion my salvation."

        That grin faltered when I finished speaking and he stood there, for once at a loss for words. Uncertainly he swung his head to Marie but she too was staring at me. As were my brothers. Then Marie cleared her throat and said. "Hi Captain. I'm Marie. Just plain Marie. No wind taming or child of destruction stuff. Just me."

        Kendall barked out a laugh and said" Of course you are my dear." And he called for wine to toast us.

        So now I sit at the fore. The wind is gentle and cool. The sun is warm and my pen makes a pleasant scratching sound against this parchment. Richter and Kendall are knee deep in lies and I think there is a bond forming there. Usamy seems to have adopted Marie and has taken her below. Geoffrey has taken to fishing aft and when the wind gusts slightly I can hear him whistling. Before me the river has begun to open up into wind tousled swells of Lake Nalar. I am just beginning to think that this voyage will be a pleasant rest when I see the sails closing on us....

More later

Bill Thompson

"Ask me a riddle and I reply:
"Cottleston, Cottleston, Cottleston Pie.""

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #659