Much magic?

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 13:21:53 +0100

Bruce Richardson :

>For a start, the character generation formulae generate
>ridiculously powerful characters (a retired soldier with 10 points of
>unspent Divine Magic?, barmaids in their twenties with 120% weapons
>skills)

Erwot? The oldest you can get using the standard character generation rules is 27 years old, which would give you 4 points of unspent divine magic. If you start modifying the charcter generation rules in one way (allowing characters to start older with more experience) then why should you be surprised that you need to make othe rmodifications to ballance it out?

>I always apply these at increasing intervals as age progresses to give
>some balance (not to mention redesigning them to be relevant to the
>particular culture and to give the player - if it's a PC - some
choice).

So what's the problem?

>But even with that restraint applied, the amount of magic available
makes
>every bar-fight a potential zap-fest and the streets of any city
extremely
>dangerous.

Remember that all that divine magic is one-use only for all but high ranking religious functionaries, who have far more to do with their time that zap people in bars. For most characters, one good zap-fest and they're spent for the next few years.

Also remember that PCs are not all average people doing average things, so you can't realy extrapolate directly from the average PC to the average gloranthan.

>Option 2 has some interesting potential: for example, getting a license
for
>your pub might require the installation of a Hearth Stone (or Bar?)
cont
>aining a modified City Harmony spell. This kind of thing could make
City
>gods much more interesting and a lot of work could be done on the
varied
>solutions arrived at by different cities.

Fair enough, theres nothing to stop you from writing that up and running scenarios where characters are runing a pub and get involved in schemes to attract customers and take over rival pubs.

Simon Hibbs