RE: Healing magic

From: Steven Barnes <SBarnes_at_brio.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 12:28:40 -0700

Brad Furst <esoteric_at_teleport.com> writes:

>I am curious to explore, in advance, the ramifications of declaring
that, in
>my game, Healing Magic must be accomplished by use of Ritual Magic
spells.
>I believe that Greg sed that Glorantha(c) has far less immediate access
>healing magic than is portrayed by RuneQuest(c) Battle/Spirit Magic.
>Wouldn't ritualization of healing magic be a step toward that
direction?

>The likely delay to start rituals (until after melee has ended) and the
>length of time required, as well as the need for a successful ritual
skill
>should reasonably put some limits onto magical healing.

It is a reasonable idea, although it doesn't solve the "problem" of characters being fully healed after the battle (some may consider this a feature).

You also may want to make the bleeding rules less severe to compensate for the increased time needed to heal. Although leaving the bleeding rules as-is will encourage your players to learn First Aid.

Another consequence of making healing a ritual is suddenly the divine Heal Wound spell becomes extremely useful (as opposed to mostly redundant)

>Why weren't the proprietors of Gimpy's healed?

They didn't get to a healer in time, presumably.