Healing magics

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 11:29:37 +1200 (NZST)

Bruce Richardson:

>Returning to a topic raise some weeks ago: I also feel uneasy about the
>Resurrection spell. It should definitely have a chance of a chaotic payoff
>(subject/caster gains mark of chaos, subject returns possessed by chaotic
>spirit etc.)

Why? This would mean that the Lightbringers quest is chaotic. Try as I might, I fail to see any chaoticness inherent in RW resurrections (Jesus & Lazurus, Inanna etc) so I fail to see why gloranthan ones should be. If you meant tainted by Death instead, then it would be more reasonable as Greg has said a similar thing:

::In fact, many people who do come back at all have the "Dead
::Sickness," which means they are listless and lost in life, some
::part of them (perhaps) remaining dead after all. Others join
::HUmakt afterwards, even if they had no inclination beforehand.

>I believe that Greg sed that Glorantha(c) has far less immediate access to
>healing magic than is portrayed by RuneQuest(c) Battle/Spirit Magic.
>Wouldn't ritualization of healing magic be a step toward that direction?

Depends on what you mean by ritual. All magic spells already rely on some sort of ritual (Paulis Longvale has to sing to apply simple healing magic in 'Lords of Terror'). But to change one type of spell to a lengthy ritual ceremony while leaving other similarly powered spells unchanged seems artificial. You might be better off following the example of Elric! or Pendragon Pass and stipulating that only one heal spell could be used per wound.