Secret Societies

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 16:54:26 +0100

We know that the praxians have secret societies and warrior brotherhoods. What about the rest of Glorantha?

Many such societies in terestrial history had a pseudo-mystical or quasi-religious nature. Some secret societies such as the Hashishim and Templars are probably best characterised as cults, even though they notionaly belonged to the Muslim and Roman Catholic faiths. That still leaves political, military, trade and many other kinds of society and fraternity that could be used.

The Cold Wind movement is one such society, but we know very little about it. There are supposedly many Arkati societies, but again little is in print. The nice thing about secret societies is that they can cross normal cult and social divisions, providing lots of opportunity for politicking, power broking, backstabing and.... well... adventures!

A while ago I proposed to Ian Thompson that perhaps Arachne Solara is the 'patron' of a secret society of priestesses throughout Dragon pass called the Web. Membership is restricted to priestesses of Chalana Arroy, Ernalda, Asrelia, Maran Gor, the Feathered Horse Queens, etc. They view themselves as the web which binds the cultures of Dragon Pass together, secretly manipulating events towards their own ends. Their sign of recognition is an item of jewelry or tattoo in the shape of a stylised cobweb. The society does not provide magic as such, though each of it's members are powerfull in their won right and can act in concert to evoke powerfull effects.

Since the invasion of Dragon pass by the Lunar Empire, the Web has been partialy infiltrated by the rival pelorian society of Arachna Selena, the modern incarnation of the ancient Sol Arachna society of Dara Happa. The priestesses of the Arachna Selena Web are gradualy illuminating their Dragon pass counterparts and manoeuvering to increase support for thei efforts to build the Temple of the Reaching Moon in Boldhome.

Simon Hibbs