Jeff and the Thames...

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 03:43:25 +0100 (BST)

Jeff R. on That River, on That Map:
> It's not wrong. The Boranni river is that portion of said river as it
> flows from Jonstown to its juncture with the Creek. The Arfritha river is
> that portion of said river as it flows through the Arfritha vale upstream
> from Jonstown.

That's possible, though if there were a significant confluence or a large distance between the two, it'd be more so. If the two sections have different names, it's surely simply because the Colymar and the Malani (or various clans thereof) can't agree on what to call the whole thing (or much else, come to that).

If this is the case, then the Arfritha Proper is pretty small indeed, especially as it's seasonal above Redbird.

> Sort of like the Thames - which if I recall has a different name where
> it flows by Oxford.

It does indeed, 'Isis', whence the name of their 'B boat'. I think the Mississippi/Missouri also does something vaguely similar, doesn't it? (Though that's applying a pettyfogging geographer's definition of "same river".) Then again, the Thames does wander across about half of southern England, not just a couple of dozen miles of the Thunder Hills...

> Personally, I hate citing Secret Knowledge. I had hoped to be able to cite
> the map in Enclosure, but unfortunately we didn't label the rivers when we
> drew the map.

I can understand that, but if one is going to do so _anyway_, it's surely preferable to be explicit about it.

Peter Metcalfe wonders:
> Why would you feel bad about gregging me or being an accessory to
> a gregging on me? Surely the bigger they are, the more satisfying
> the 'thump' when they fall?

I'm not sure if what you have here is a persecution complex or just several 'Proud' ticks, Peter. ;-)

[So far as I know, Joerg and I are still the leading contenders in the "biggest thumpers on the list" category...]

Slainte,
Alex.

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #661