Re: Resurrecting resurrection 3

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 17:39:59 +0100 (BST)

Bruce Richardson:
> In particular, [chaos] seeks to pervert acts of creation or re-creation (cf.
> Nysalor, Red Goddess, EWF) hoping to benefit from (and conceal itself
> within) the growth/regrowth that follows.

What was chaotic about the EWF? While Orlanthi think that Nysalor and the Red Goddess are chaotic, I believe this is regarded as wilfull, not accidental; in any case, this is not the Pelorian view.

> What if, as a would-be
> resurrector chased down a fleeing soul through the paths of the spirit
> world, one of them encountered the muttering shade of Nysalor lurking to
> one side? Death-sickness and illumination have common features.

I think that being Resurrected is a potential route to (or at least, portion of a route to) Illumination, yes. In fact, Yelm's example makes it quite clear that this is the case, certainly for Dara Happans. But that's not at all the same thing as a Chaotic Taint (even if Storm Bullies will kill you just as dead for either, given method and opportunity). It's much less clear if the person performing the Resurrection is at all likely to be similarly affected -- for them it's "just" casting a spell

> I would be keen to hear some suggestions on the potential risks of
> resurrection. They should, I think, differ from culture to culture and
> cult to cult (each has their own path to paradise or hell).

Absolutely. We know of two, at any rate -- Dara Happans often become "fearful afterward" (not so doing was a great virtue of Yelmgatha), while Orlanthi tend to become morbid and join Humakt, a downside in any sane person's book. Those are also two of the cultures for which Resurrection is the most mythicly significant -- in a lot of the rest of Glorantha, the main drawback to resurrection is that you can't get it, any any price.

Slainte,
Alex.