Re: storm gods

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 04:54:53 +0100 (BST)

David Dunham cautions:
> Don't make the mistake of confusing cult and deity.

Why not? The cults themselves make this mistake on a regular basis.

> Orlanth is worshipped
> differently in Ralios and Dragon Pass -- heck, any two Dragon Pass clans
> probably worship him differently. But he's the same god.

Unless of course he isn't. How do you propose to tell, much less to "prove" anything from this?

> And Protestants can't disprove Catholics.

In fact, many of "us" (if you want me to speak ultra-loosely) have seen them happen.

> You're dealing with two closed belief systems here -- scientists
> have faith that the scientific method can explain everything.

This statement is completely false, and can only be held to not be false insofar as it's unclear what it should mean. If there's a well-formed, true statement in there struggling to get out, it'd presumably be something like:

"Logical positivists believe that only things which can be verified are true."

(Apologies to any LPists and Wittgensteiners that this is too crude a paraphrase for.)

Clearly while there are many christian scientists (note non-caps!), Christian Positivism seems to be an ecumenism too far...

Slainte,
Alex.