Secret Societies.

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 21:13:50 +1200 (NZST)

Simon Hibbs:

>We know that the praxians have secret societies and warrior
>brotherhoods. What about the rest of Glorantha?

Secret Societies that are known to exist in 3rd age Glorantha:

Fronela: Perfecti.

Kralorela: Path of Immanent Mastery.

Lunar Empire: Church of Immortality. Heretics of Vitality. Devotees of Fiscal Anarchy.

Ralios: Arkati. Borists. Argan Argar Chain. Chaos Monks.

There are more societies that have existed in history, such as the Old Day Traditionalists and the Night Dragon Society, but they have ceased to exist.

>Many such societies in terestrial history had a pseudo-mystical or
>quasi-religious nature. Some secret societies such as the Hashishim and
>Templars are probably best characterised as cults, even though they
>notionaly belonged to the Muslim and Roman Catholic faiths.

I'm skeptical about calling the Assasins and the Knights Templars 'secret' societies as they were quite visible in their time. Also what do you mean by 'notionaly'? That they were not Muslims or Catholics? IMO a better parallel to the Templars would be the specialized cults of the Orlanthi described in KoS p255: no-one denies that the worshippers of those cults are not Orlanthi but they are distinct nevertheless.