Resurrection and Illumination

From: Bruce Richardson <brichardson_at_lineone.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 13:31:39 +0100

Simon Hibbs is quite right, I wouldn't want to force resurrection on a PC like that (although no one really has a choice about it anyway, unless they're a Lunar actively seeking it). However, I don't think it would be unreasonable if someone who had already solved at least one riddle should have their chance of Illumination similarly increased by death and resurrection (possibly with a higher modifier). A Lunar would see this as the near death experience broadening the mind. An Orlanthi would see it as trauma weakening an already fragile soul. There might also be (rare) circumstances where death/resurrection would have the effect of solving the first riddle (i.e exposing someone for the first time to the risk of Illumination). I'm going to have to think hard about what those circumstances might be. Incidentally, what is the official Malkioni view on Illumination? Lunar intellectuals would explain it as a supremely rational and objective view of the universe. The Grey Sages might accept that Chaos is not evil in itself (i.e when it stays outside the world) but would insist that whenever Chaos touches life it destroys or perverts it and that an instinctive hatred of chaos is vital not only to the individual but to everyone around them: an illuminate is the weak link in the chain. Now, the Malkioni proclaim a highly rational deity and could, on that basis, welcome Illumination but they are extremely sniffy and patronising about the Lunars. So what's their line?