Inca building techniques

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 09:58:33 +0100

>I understand that rather than 'chip away' at the stones (implying
>chisel-like tools), they actually 'ground' away at them using sand (and

>possibly water). This only makes the feat more remarkable in my >mind!)

  1. Find an approximately correctly shaped big rock.
  2. Manoeuver it into possition using sledges, wedges and big levers.
  3. Prop it in possition about 1-2 feet over the gap it's to fill using poles - you can still see the socket holes in the rocks to this day.
  4. Chip away at the surface untill it's approximately the right shape.
  5. Smooth down the surface using abrasives to make a perfect fit.
  6. Use levers and wedges again to ease the rock into it's socket.

The socket is also chipped and sanded down to make a good join. They used a device called a 'scribe' to make sure the socket at rock were perfectly matched. A scribe is a 1-2 ft long triangular wooden measuring tool with a pundulum hanging from the peak of the triangle. Put the scribe between the socket and the block and move it up and down the gap, making sure the pendulum thread keeps on a notch on the horizontal beam of the triangle. Wear away the block and the socket untill the scribe bearely fits all the way aroudn the gap and you're guaranteed a perfect fit.

Voila!

I saw someone do it on the telly with a multi-tonne block. The fit wasn't as good as the real thing, but then it was their first attempt.

Simon Hibbs