Re: religious and magic things

From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 08:36:35 +0200

Frederic Ferro:

> Peter Metcalfe wrote:
> >Druzes believe that a Caliph was Divine.
> According to a Lebanese apostate in the 1980's,
> they believe also in reincarnation (yes, like Dragonewts...)!
> It seems to be a "Mystery" religion with esoteric teachings for the initiates.
> Gerard de Nerval called them (in his Voyage en Orient) the Eastern Masons.

They are also quite pragmatical. During times when Lebanon has been dominated by christians they have claimed to be a christian sect, when the moslems have been stronger, tey claim to be moslems.

Peter on mysticism:

> To clarify the confusion: The basic magic tradition of the Kralori
> is Mysticism (I am using the CoT/God Learner classification*). The
> Teshnans IMO are Theists whereas the Dream Magic of the East Isles
> seems to be naturalism.

I suspect that the magic traditions of the east will change a bit. Dream magic was originally intended to be semi-mystic. That is likely to change.

As per the Hero Wars descriptions of the magic traditions mysticism is geared totally towards escape from the world, towards non-being. This makes me think that Kralorela needs some reevaluation too. The kind of mysticism which is completey cut off from the practicalities of life is of little use to the common man. In fact, a nation which depended on mysticism as its primary world view/magic would soon be invaded by its neighbours. So I think that only a minority of easterners are really mystics. They may be spiritually influential beyond their numbers, so that Kralorela could indeed be considered mystical in outlook. The common man, however, is more likely to follow theistic ways.

It's a sliding scale of course, and I agree that Teshnos is mainly theistic. I suspect there are mystics among the Night caste.

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind nilsw_at_ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689/